Though being a Yoetzet can sometimes be challenging, there are so many things I love about it.
Here are my top 10:
- The ability to take something that was nonsensical before and help people understand it.
- Celebrating and sometimes enabling the victories, like the woman finally getting to the mikvah, getting pregnant despite early ovulation, or making her way back to mikvah after a difficult medical situation.
- Empathizing with the heartbreak of the miscarriages, infertility, struggling marriages, or psychological disorders.
- The relief I vicariously feel when a woman who used to be uncomfortable is now able to share her story and concerns without embarrassment or judgement.
- If my friends forget about me – at least other women are calling…
- Being inspired by the masses of women who are unwavering in their commitment to taharat hamishpacha.
- Learning from the women who struggle with their adherence to taharat hamishpacha but still care enough to call.
- Having a network of learned peers and Rabbanim to turn to and learn from.
- Developing tougher skin against critics of Yoatzot.
- Feeling connected to a group of women and relating on that level as I’ve never done before.
It is wonderful to be featured on this website because what “Jewish Women Talk About Anything” has accomplished that most social media outlets have failed to do is to invite women’s vulnerabilities to the table. I hope, by extension, JewishWomenTalk.com will do the same in an even great way. And by allowing some women to be vulnerable it is creating a more real community of women. Let’s all be very conscious of the dangers of social media and use this platform to connect to one another positively and learn from one another.